What are the key collaboration & Learning concerns of any union minister and union secretary?
The speed of execution of various nationwide projects and welfare schemes of your ministry is directly proportional to how frequently you yourself along with your key senior officers are able to review the progress of the execution with your nationwide teams of senior officials. As you would have noticed by now whatever gets reviewed frequently in your personal presence gets done really fast!
Concerns which the various other union ministers and secretaries face regarding their inability of conducting frequent highly effective reviews which is slowing down the pace of execution of the various nationwide projects and schemes of their ministry that is so dear to them and which leads to massive cost overruns and the national exchequer incurs a huge opportunity cost are :
- As they oversee projects across the nation they cannot do frequent reviews with our execution teams of senior officials as much as we would like to do as it would require a very high frequency of travelling for our key state ministerial officers to the state capital because best reviews are conducted face to face only. But because travelling consumes lot of either mine or my state wide senior officers very valuable time and is also a very expensive proposition face to face reviews cannot be done as frequently as we would like to do. This causes huge delays in implementation of various projects and welfare schemes.
- To get over above problems we have already tried conducting reviews over Video conferencing but have found them not to be even 10% as effective as reviewing face to face on account of whole lot of struggles me and our officials have to endure in video teleconferences every time when we connect another location over video conferencing.
- It becomes further worse when we have to review with multiple location officers simultaneously together which often is the case. If face to face review experience is like travelling by a luxurious car on a expressway then the experience of a review over video is like travelling on a bumpy road sitting on the floor in a crowded open tractor trolley. So this is not the experience we can really work with to increase the pace of execution of projects and welfare schemes!!
- So how to conduct the various project reviews with the nationwide senior officers teams at one another or multiple locations simultaneously on demand frequently with an effectiveness of same location reviews without making them frequently travel to the national capital which they are still forced to do in spite of having access to do video conferencing ?
- Ministerial officers are spread over the entire country. Multiple sessions that are repetitive and time consuming need to be conducted to bring everyone up to speed over video conferences because of lack of effectiveness of doing them over video conferencing especially for addressing all the locations together! This creates a substantial time lag between the time we plan and the time by which this information reaches as it should to all the targeted members of our ministry nationwide. Time is money and loss of time means delays in implementation and escalation in the costs of the various projects.
- So how to conduct nationwide various senior official's get together (Town halls) more effectively and more frequently so as every member of your ministry's key officials teams spread across all the states is energized and is also on the same page immediately about what you want them to do regarding various new government schemes and various new projects without making them travel to the state capital?
- My ministry's success depends upon how well continuously trained our senior officials are. But a shortage of good trainers coupled with a wide geographical spread of our teams means training cannot be done regularly on account of huge travelling related costs that have to be incurred every time our ministry conducts trainings. All trainings without continuous refresher modules also lose much of their effectiveness.
So how to regularly train the entire nationwide senior officers in a cost effective manner as against once in a blue moon administration of training in the state?